The Little Aston Golf Club, with its background of high ambition and worthy achievements, is a club in which prime importance is placed on the playing of golf, but it is a club which offers its members and visitors uncommon opportunities to enjoy the game for its own sake.
Little Aston came into being in 1908 when 136 acres of land was leased from Mr AW Greatrex. The land was purchased in 1925 and a further 12 acres and 18 acres were purchased in 1928 and 1964 respectively.
In July 1908 Harry Vardon was commissioned to convert the land into a golf course and shortly afterwards Harry Colt was brought in by the membership to make several improvements and transform Little Aston's bunkering. There have been minor alterations since then but the main features remain with the exception of the 17th hole where the green in 2006 was moved into the lake.
Providence was however generous in the provision of the raw material for a course because with the exception of three holes, it is laid out in Little Aston Park, a stretch of fine old park turf, with a subsoil of sand and gravel and in a beautiful woodland setting. Over the years the old grass park has been converted into what is unquestionably one of the finest inland courses in the country.
The course measures 6813 yards, an ideal length for a course that caters for golfers of varying degrees of proficiency. The holes are sporting and call for all kinds of play and the greens, are, in normal conditions almost perfect. There are a fair proportion of good two shot holes, several drive and pitch holes and three one shot holes, a combination of ingredients which make for ideal golf.
The Club has over the years hosted many major tournaments both Amateur and Professional. These include the English Amateur, Brabazon and British Boys Championships, the Ladies British Open Amateur Championship, the English Ladies Amateur and Strokeplay Championships and the Dunlop Masters Professional Tournament.