In July 1908 Harry Vardon was commissioned to convert the land into a golf course and shortly afterwards Harry Colt was brought in by the membership to make several improvements and transform Little Aston’s bunkering.
Providence was generous in the provision of the raw material for a course because of the subsoil of sand and gravel, and a beautiful woodland setting in the original Little Aston Park. Over the years the old grass park has been converted into what is unquestionably one of the finest inland courses in the country.
Some alterations have been made over the years, such as relocating the 17th green bringing the lake in to play, bunker relocation and reshaping and more recently, new green tees to keep pace with generational requirements. However, at the same time, we have always been mindful to never lose touch with the original Vardon/Colt legacy and intentions of this rich parkland course.
The course measures 6772 yards, an ideal length for a course that will test golfers of all degrees of proficiency. The holes are sporting and call for all kinds of play and the greens, are, in normal conditions almost perfect. There are a fair proportion of good two shot holes, several drive and pitch holes and three one shot holes, a combination of ingredients which make for ideal golf.